Do you want to enroll at Igbinedion University? This article has been put together to guide you thoroughly on the necessary information you need before enrolling in the school. In this article, you’ll get to learn about the list of courses offered by this university, and their admission requirements.
About Igbinedion University
Igbinedion University is the first private university in Nigeria, founded in 1999 by Sir Gabriel Osawaru Igbinedion, the Esama of Benin Kingdom. The university has over 11,000 students across seven colleges – College of Natural Sciences, College of Medical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, College of Law, College of Engineering, College of Management Sciences and College of Arts and Social Sciences.
The university offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs in fields like Medicine, Pharmacy, Law, Engineering, Business, and Arts. Igbinedion University aims to produce graduates adequately equipped intellectually to understand the developmental needs of Nigeria.
Admission into Igbinedion University is open to all suitably qualified candidates irrespective of nationality, ethnic group, gender, religious or political persuasion. Applicants are admitted purely on the basis of merit and performance in the university’s entrance examination and interview.
The university campus, located in Okada, Edo State, sits on over 1,000 hectares of land with state-of-the-art facilities, lecture theaters, laboratories, recreational centers, student hostels and staff quarters.
Igbinedion University continues to expand and improve its programs and facilities. It aspires to be a world-class university, promoting excellence in teaching, research and community service. Through international partnerships and linkages with notable universities around the world, the institution aims to strengthen its global presence.
With a vision to be an international center of excellence in learning, research, entrepreneurship, innovation and community service, Igbinedion University is poised to produce graduates and professionals who can compete globally.
List of Courses Available in Igbinedion University,Nigeria
As a leading private university in Nigeria, Igbinedion University offers a wide range of courses and academic programs. Students have many options to choose from the following disciplines:
Arts and Social Sciences
- Mass Communication
- Political Science
Basic Medical Sciences
- Medicine and Surgery
- Nursing Science
Engineering and Technology
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical/Electronic Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Estate Management
- Urban and Regional Planning
Management and Social Sciences
- Banking and Finance
- Business Administration
With various specializations and concentrations within these faculties, Igbinedion University aims to provide high-quality education and training that prepares students for career and leadership opportunities. The courses utilize modern teaching and learning techniques to help students gain theoretical knowledge as well as practical skills that meet international standards.
Overall, Igbinedion University offers stimulating degree programs across many disciplines. Prospective undergraduate and graduate students have diverse options to choose courses that match their interests and career goals.
To gain admission into Igbinedion University, Okada, you must meet the following requirements:
To qualify for admission into Igbinedion University, you must have the following:
- Five credits in the SSCE, NECO or their equivalent including English Language and Mathematics at not more than two sittings. Candidates with Teachers Grade II (TC II) certificate with five credits including English Language and Mathematics are also eligible.
- JAMB UTME score: Candidates must have a minimum score of 180 in JAMB to qualify for admission into Igbinedion University.
- O’ Level results: Candidates must have at least five SSCE credits or its equivalent in not more than two sittings including English Language, Mathematics and subjects relevant to their proposed course of study.
- UME subjects: Candidates must have the right UME subjects combination for their proposed course of study.
- Age: Candidates must not be above 22 years of age of the year of entry.
- Character and fitness: Candidates must be of good conduct and must present a testimonial of good character from their School Principal or any other relevant authority.
- Aptitude test: Candidates may be required to sit for a written aptitude test depending on the course of study. The test shall cover Mathematics, English Language and General Paper.
- Physical fitness: Candidates must be certified by a Government Medical Officer as physically and medically fit to undergo undergraduate studies.
Meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission as the number of applicants often far exceeds the capacity. Admission is competitive and based on a candidate’s UTME score and O’ Level grades.
To apply to Igbinedion University, there are a few steps you will need to follow:
Submit an Application
The first step is to submit an application for admission. You can apply online through the university’s application portal. Be prepared to provide personal information like your name, address, date of birth, and educational background. You will also need to pay an application fee, which is currently ₦10,000 for Nigerian applicants and $50 USD for international applicants.
Submit Supporting Documents
Along with your application, you must provide copies of several supporting documents:
- Original secondary school certificate or its equivalent
- JAMB result slip showing your score of 180 or higher
- Birth certificate or sworn declaration of age
- Reference letters from two teachers who taught you major subjects
These documents help to verify your identity and academic qualifications. Be sure to submit clear copies of the original documents.
Attend an Interview
If your application is successful, you will be invited for an interview with the university’s admission committee. The interview aims to assess your motivation and enthusiasm for the program. Come prepared to discuss your career and academic goals, as well as your interests and strengths. Dress professionally, arrive on time, and bring copies of your supporting documents.
Receive an Offer of Admission
If the interview goes well and you meet all admission criteria, you will receive an official offer of admission to Igbinedion University. This letter will indicate which academic program you have been accepted into, as well as next steps to confirm your enrollment like making a deposit and signing enrollment contracts.
Congratulations, you now have the chance to become an Igbinedion University student! Following these application steps carefully and submitting a thoughtful application will help ensure your admission to this prestigious Nigerian university.
Frequently asked questions about Igbinedion University:
What are the admission requirements?
To be admitted to Igbinedion University, you must meet the following requirements:
- Have a minimum of 5 credits at SSCE/NECO including English Language and Mathematics
- Meet the UTME cut-off mark for your desired course of study
- Participate in the post-UTME screening exercise
- Some courses may have additional requirements like a credit in Chemistry for medical courses. Check with your desired department for any extra conditions.
What courses are offered at Igbinedion University?
Igbinedion University offers a wide range of programs across several colleges:
- College of Medical Sciences: Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, etc.
- College of Law: Law
- College of Management Sciences: Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, etc.
- College of Natural and Applied Sciences: Computer Science, Microbiology, Physics, etc.
- College of Social and Behavioral Sciences: Mass Communication, Political Science, Psychology, etc.
- College of Engineering: Computer Engineering, Electrical/Electronics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, etc.
When does the academic year start?
The academic year at Igbinedion University consists of two semesters:
- First semester: September to January
- Second semester: February to June
The school calendar follows a regular pattern, so you can anticipate the same start and end months for each semester every year.
Does the school have hostel facilities?
Yes, Igbinedion University provides accommodation for students in its hostel facilities located on campus. There are several hostels for both male and female students with options for semi-private and private rooms. Students are expected to check into the hostels at the beginning of each semester.