Do you want to enroll at The Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU)? This article has been put together to guide you thoroughly on the necessary information you need before enrolling in the school. In this article, you’ll get to learn about the list of courses offered by this university, and their admission requirements.
About The School
Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) is a university in Ile-Ife, Osun State, Nigeria. It is owned by the federal government. It was started in 1961 and was first called the University of Ife. In 1987, it was changed after the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo, a Nigerian politician and former premier of the Western Region.
OAU List Of Courses Offered
Below is a comprehensive list of the courses offered at OAU:
- Agricultural Economics
- Animal Science
- Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology
- Agricultural and Environmental Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science
- Computer Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Education and Economics
- Education and Chemistry
- Education and Biology
- Education and Geography
- Education and Language Arts
- Education and English Language
- Education and Fine and Applied Arts
- Education and French
- Education and History
- Education and Music
- Education and Physics
- Education and Mathematics
- Estate Management
- Electrical/Electronics Engineering
- Educational Management
- English Language
- Environmental Design and Management
- Family, Nutrition and Consumer Sciences
- Fine Arts
- Food Science and Technology
- Foreign Languages and Literature
- Guidance and Counseling
- History and International Studies
- Home Economics and Education
- Health Education and Promotion
- Industrial Chemistry
- Information Resource Management
- International Relations
- Literature in English
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Rehabilitation
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Medicine and Surgery
- Nursing Science
- Physical and Health Education
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Quantity Surveying
- Religious Studies
- Soil Science
- Surveying and Geo-informatics
- Urban and Regional Planning
OAU School Fees
Here are the expected school fees for the 2023–2024 school year at different OAU faculties:
The Agriculture School:
- New students: between N66,700 and N70,700
- Returning Students: N46,700 – N50,700
Faculty of Arts:
- New students: N60,700 to N64,700
- Returning Students: N40,700 – N44,700
Faculty of Education:
- New students: N61,700 to N65,700.
- Returning Students: N41,700 to N45,700
Faculty of Law:
- New students: N87,700 – N91,700.
- Returning Students: N67,700 – N71,700
Faculty of Science:
- New students: N65,700 – N69,700
- Returning Students: N45,700 – N49,700
Faculty of Social Sciences:
- New students: N66,700 to N70,700
- Returning Students: N46,700 – N50,700
For advanced programs:
Depending on the program and level of study, school fees run from N81,000 to N103,000.
OAU List of Courses Offered
The requirements for getting into OAU rely on what you want to study and what level of degree you want to get. But there are some general rules that all candidates must follow:
- UTME Requirements: If you want to apply to OAU, you must have taken the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board’s (JAMB) Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and gotten at least 200 points. The applicants must also have picked OAU as their first choice of school.
- O-Level Requirements: Candidates must have at least five credit passes in relevant courses, including Math and English Language, from WASSCE, NECO, or GCE, with no more than two attempts. Some courses also require a certain O-level topic.
- Post-UTME Screening: All applicants must take part in the OAU Post-UTME screening practice. The test is usually done on a computer and is meant to see if the candidate is a good fit for the course of study. To be eligible for admission, candidates must get at least 50% on the test.
- Requirements for Direct Entry: Students who want to apply to OAU directly must have finished an appropriate diploma or degree program from a recognized school. Also, candidates must have at least five O-Level credit passes, including English Language and Mathematics.
- Minimum age: Applicants to OAU must be at least 16 years old at the time they submit their application.
OAU Hostel Accommodations
The fees for staying in an OAU hostel depend on the type of hostel and the amount of accommodation. Here’s how much it costs to stay in a hotel at OAU:
- College Hostels: OAU has a number of hostels for college students. The fees for hostels for first-year students range from 14,000 to 30,000 per session, or per school year. Most of the time, hostel fees for first-year students are paid at the start of each academic term.
- Hostels for Postgraduate Students: OAU also has hostels for postgraduate students. Depending on the type of room picked, the fees for postgraduate hostels range from 40,000 to 80,000 per session. Most of the time, postgraduate hostel fees are also paid at the start of each academic term.
- Medical Students hotel: There is a place just for medical students to stay called a “medical students’ hostel.” The medical students’ hostel costs between 25,000 and 30,000 per term.
What is the cutoff mark for OAU?
The cutoff mark for OAU is 180.
Does OAU accept second choice?
Every interested candidate must choose OAU as their first choice if they really want to enroll in the school.
How many faculties does OAU have?
OAU has thirteen faculties, including Arts, Education, Science, Social Sciences, Agriculture, Law, Pharmacy, Clinical Sciences, Dentistry, Environmental Design and Management, Basic Medical Sciences, Technology, and Postgraduate Studies.