Do you want to enroll at Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education? How about knowing the necessary admission requirements you need to enroll in the school? The articles will guide on the necessary information you need to know about the school. This article entails the list of courses offered by the school and also their admission requirements.
About the School
Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education Owerri, commonly referred to as Alvan, is one of the oldest tertiary institutions in Nigeria. It was established in April 1964 as the Advanced Teachers College. The institution was renamed Alvan Ikoku College of Education in 1963 in honor of Augustine Alvan Ikoku, a prominent educator.
In 2007, the college gained federal status and became Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education. Over the years, Alvan has trained and produced thousands of teachers and educators for primary and secondary schools across Nigeria.
Alvan is located in Owerri, the capital city of Imo State in southeastern Nigeria. The scenic campus sits on over 1,000 acres of land. Alvan offers various programs in education at the National Certificate of Education (NCE) level including courses in English, Mathematics, Integrated Science, Social Studies, and more.
To gain admission into Alvan, you must meet the minimum entry requirements set by the National Commission for Colleges of Education (NCCE) and pass the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) exam. Alvan holds two academic sessions every year – the first semester runs from January to June, and the second semester runs from September to December.
Over the years, Alvan has produced notable alumni who have gone on to achieve great success in their careers. Some of the notable alumni include Professor Chukwuemeka Ike, a famous Nigerian writer, and Dr. Mrs. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, a former Finance Minister of Nigeria.
With a long and distinguished history of training teachers, Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education continues to play an important role in education and human capital development in Nigeria. With increased access to higher education, Alvan is poised to produce more quality teachers and educators for many generations to come.
Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education Owerri List of Courses Offered
Below are the list of courses offered at Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education Owerri:
- Agricultural Science & Education
- Business Education
- Computer Education
- Education & English Language
- Education & French
- Education & Geography/Physics
- Education & History
- Education & Biology
- Education & Chemistry
- Education & Economics
- Education & Music
- Education & Physics
- Education & Political Science
- Education & Religious Studies
- Education & Social Studies
- Education & Integrated Science
- Education & Mathematics
- Education Fine & Applied Arts
- Education Igbo & Linguistics
- Guidance & Counselling
- Health Education
- Home Economics & Education
- Physical Education & Recreation
- Primary Education Studies
Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education Owerri Admission Requirements
To gain admission into Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education Owerri, there are a few requirements you’ll need to meet. Knowing these in advance will help ensure your application is complete and increases your chances of acceptance.
Minimum Admission Requirements
To qualify for admission, you must:
- Have a minimum of 5 credits in relevant subjects including English Language, Mathematics, one Science subject and two other subjects at not more than two sittings in WASSCE/NECO or five credits at one sitting.
- Must be at least 16 years of age at the time of application.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years post-primary education.
- Must have a minimum of upper credit in relevant ND program for Direct Entry candidates.
- Must meet the minimum UTME cut-off mark for admission into the college. The cut-off mark varies from year to year based on competition.
- Must have chosen Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education Owerri as first choice when registering for JAMB.
To apply for admission into Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education Owerri, you need to follow these steps:
- Purchase the college’s admission form from the admission office or download from the college’s website. Read through carefully and fill accurately.
- Attach photocopies of your credentials including BIRTH CERTIFICATE, WAEC/NECO results, Local Government of Origin, etc. to the completed form.
- Submit the completed admission form with the required documents to the admission office before the deadline. Late applications will not be considered.
- Check the admission list on the college’s website or admission office notice board to confirm if offered provisional admission.
- Accept the offer of admission on the college’s website or admission office within the stipulated time. Failure to accept within the deadline will lead to forfeiture of admission.
- Proceed to the college for screening and registration upon resumption. Come along with originals of the documents attached to your admission form for verification.
Following these admission guidelines carefully will set you on the path to becoming a student of Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education Owerri. Best of luck!
Many prospective students have questions about attending Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education Owerri. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions and their answers:
What programs does the college offer?
Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education Owerri offers both undergraduate and postgraduate programs in a variety of areas of study including:
- Education: They offer programs for training primary and secondary school teachers including degrees in English, Math, Biology and more.
- Vocational and Technical Education: They provide training for careers in fields like Woodwork, Metalwork, Electrical Installation, etc.
- Science Education: They offer programs for aspiring science teachers to teach subjects like Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, etc.
- Arts and Social Sciences: They provide training for careers in fields such as History, Geography, Christian Religious Studies, etc.
- Postgraduate programs: They offer master’s and doctorate degrees in areas like Educational Administration, Curriculum Studies, Guidance and Counseling, etc.
What is the admission process?
To gain admission into Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education Owerri, you must:
- Meet the minimum entry requirements like having at least 5 credits in SSCE, NECO or NABTEB including English Language and Mathematics.
- Purchase and fill the application form for your desired program. Application forms can be obtained online or from the college campus.
- Sit for and pass the Post UTME screening test. The test covers areas like English Language, Mathematics and General Paper.
- Attend interview sessions if invited. Some departments may conduct oral interviews as part of the admission screening.
- Meet the cutoff mark for your chosen course. The cutoff mark varies each year depending on the number of applications.
- Ensure your details including O’Level results are correctly captured in the admission list. Errors should be rectified before the admission list is finalized.
- Students can also gain admission through direct entry or transfer from another school. For direct entry, you must have a diploma or National Certificate in Education (NCE) in a related field of study. For transfer, you must have a good academic standing in your previous school.
What facilities are available on campus?
The college has various facilities to support students’ learning and extracurricular activities:
- Well-equipped classrooms, science and computer laboratories
- A library with books, journals, magazines, newspapers, etc.
- Sports facilities for football, basketball, volleyball, athletics, etc.
- Student hostels and recreational centers
- A medical center for health services
- A chaplaincy for spiritual support
- A cafeteria for meals
- Transport services within and outside the campus