10 Best Art Courses to Study in Nigeria: As an aspiring creative mind in Nigeria, you have a wealth of opportunities to pursue a fulfilling education in the arts. Nigeria is home to many prestigious institutions of higher learning that offer courses spanning visual arts, music, theater, film, and more. Whether your passion lies in painting, sculpture, animation, or another creative field, Nigeria’s art schools provide an inspiring environment to hone your craft.
This article highlights 10 of the best art courses you can study in Nigeria. From the renowned Yaba College of Technology to the prestigious University of Nigeria, Nsukka, these schools offer programs that will unleash your creative potential.
You will learn from accomplished professors, gain practical experience, build connections within Nigeria’s art scene, and emerge with a highly-valued degree or diploma to launch your career. Nigeria’s creative economy is booming, and by pursuing one of these top art courses, you will gain the knowledge and skills to thrive as a contemporary artist.
1. Fine and Applied Arts at University of Nigeria, Nsukka
The Department of Fine and Applied Arts at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka offers both undergraduate and postgraduate programs in visual arts. Students pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Fine and Applied Arts can specialize in areas such as painting, sculpture, ceramics, graphics, textile design, and metal design.
Postgraduate students can earn either a Master’s or Doctorate degree in Fine and Applied Arts with a specialization in art history, painting, sculpture, ceramics, or graphics. Courses cover both theory and studio practice, with topics including:
- History of Nigerian and African art
- Drawing techniques and skills
- Principles of design and composition
- Methods and materials of painting, sculpture, ceramics, and other media
The department aims to train students in both traditional and contemporary artistic techniques as well as foster creative thinking. Practical work is emphasized to build technical skills. Students exhibit their work annually and upon graduation to gain exposure.
Graduates find careers as studio artists, art teachers, designers, illustrators, art critics, and more. The program provides a solid foundation in visual arts for those seeking to advance their artistic practice or work professionally in creative fields.
With a long-established fine arts program and modern facilities, the University of Nigeria offers a preeminent art education for nurturing the next generation of Nigerian artists and designers. If you aspire to have a successful career in the visual arts, the Department of Fine and Applied Arts is an excellent place to turn your passion into a profession.
2. Painting and Visual Arts at Yaba College of Technology
As one of the top art schools in Nigeria, Yaba College of Technology offers aspiring artists the opportunity to develop their talents in painting and visual arts. The National Diploma program in Painting and Visual Design exposes you to a range of skills including drawing, painting, sculpture, ceramics, and textile design over the course of two years.
You will take foundational courses in areas such as:
- Drawing – Developing observational and technical skills using various media like pencil, charcoal and ink. Subjects include still life, landscape, and life drawing.
- Painting – Exploring painting techniques and styles in watercolor, acrylics and oils. You will study color theory and how to depict form, light, shadow, and perspective.
- Sculpture – Creating 3D works of art through carving, modeling, casting and constructing. You will work with diverse materials such as stone, metal, wood, plaster and found objects.
- Ceramics – Learning hand-building and wheel-throwing techniques to make functional and decorative pottery, tiles and ceramic sculptures. Glazing and firing methods are also covered.
- Textile Design – Developing and producing creative fabrics, tapestries and prints using dyeing, weaving, and screen printing. Pattern making and illustration skills are emphasized.
Upon completion of the program, you will have built a strong foundation in artistic methods and have a portfolio of work to prepare you for a career as a studio artist, art teacher, or for further studies in painting, sculpture or design. With passion and persistence, the visual arts program at Yaba College of Technology can set you on the path to success in Nigeria’s art scene.
3. Sculpture at Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
Sculpture at Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, is one of the top art courses in Nigeria to consider. At Ahmadu Bello University, you can obtain a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree in Sculpture. This 4-year program teaches both practical and theoretical aspects of sculpture.
The sculpture program covers a range of sculpting techniques and materials. Students learn stone carving, wood carving, metal casting, and ceramic sculpture. They study human and animal anatomy to accurately represent forms. Students also take courses in art history, esthetics, and critical theory to provide context for their work.
The Department of Fine Arts at Ahmadu Bello University has excellent facilities for sculpture students. This includes a foundry for bronze casting, wood and stone carving workshops, and ceramic studios. The program frequently takes field trips to art galleries and museums to expose students to contemporary sculpture.
A degree in Sculpture from Ahmadu Bello University prepares students for careers as professional sculptors, art teachers, museum curators, and more. Graduates have opportunities to exhibit their work at art galleries in Nigeria and abroad. Some students pursue master’s degrees or doctorates in Sculpture to advance their skills and open up more career opportunities.
4. Textile Design and Fashion at University of Benin
The University of Benin offers a Bachelor’s degree in Textile Design and Fashion. This program provides students with a solid foundation in textile design, fashion design, and garment production.
The curriculum covers fundamental topics such as:
- Basic design principles and skills
- Pattern drafting and garment construction
- Textile science and technology
- Fashion illustration
- History of fashion and textile design
- Entrepreneurship in the fashion industry
Students gain practical experience through studio work, internships, and live projects with industry partners. The program aims to equip students with the knowledge and technical skills required for careers as fashion designers, textile designers, product developers, and fashion entrepreneurs.
Graduates can find employment in several areas of the fashion and textile industry, including:
- Fashion design: Creating original clothing, accessories, and footwear. Working as fashion designers for apparel companies or as independent designers.
- Textile design: Designing prints, patterns, and woven or knitted fabrics for clothing, home furnishings, and other applications. Working as textile designers for fabric manufacturers, fashion brands, or interior design firms.
- Fashion merchandising: Selecting and buying clothing, shoes, and accessories for retail stores. Working as buyers, merchandisers, and product developers for fashion retailers.
- Fashion marketing: Promoting fashion brands and products. Working in areas like public relations, social media management, advertising, and retail marketing.
- Fashion journalism: Writing and editing for fashion magazines, websites, blogs, and other media. Working as fashion writers, bloggers, editors, and stylists.
The program opens up various career paths for creatively gifted individuals looking to establish themselves in Nigeria’s growing fashion and design industry. With hard work and persistence, graduates can build successful careers as influential fashion designers, textile designers, fashion editors, buyers, and entrepreneurs.
5. Graphics Design at University of Lagos
The University of Lagos offers a Bachelor of Arts degree in Graphics Design. This four-year program provides students with a solid foundation in visual communication and digital design.
The graphics design curriculum at UNILAG includes coursework in:
- Visual communication principles
- Digital illustration
- Image editing
- Branding and identity design
- User experience design
- Motion graphics
Students learn industry-standard design software like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. They develop strong conceptual thinking, visual storytelling, and problem-solving skills. Projects and internships provide opportunities to gain real-world experience.
Graduates of the UNILAG graphics design program are prepared for careers such as:
- Graphic designer
- Art director
- Creative director
- UI/UX designer
- Visual brand strategist
- Marketing coordinator
Successful graphics designers may work at design firms, advertising agencies, publishing companies, or as freelancers. According to recent surveys, the job market for graphics designers in Nigeria is growing steadily. Talented designers with a degree from a reputable university like UNILAG are in high demand.
The graphics design program at the University of Lagos provides a comprehensive education for students interested in visual communication and digital media careers. With a degree from this prestigious institution, designers gain creative and technical skills to thrive in Nigeria’s vibrant creative economy.
To gain admission into a law program in Nigeria, you will typically need the following:
- Meet the minimum admission requirements of the university. For most universities, this is at least 5 subjects passed at credit level including English Language and Literature in English at the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE) or its equivalent like NECO.
- Have a good score in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME). The UTME is the university entrance exam for undergraduate programs in Nigeria. Aim for at least 200 and above to stand a good chance.
- Some universities may require you to take an additional screening test. If required, you will need to pass that to qualify for admission.
- Submit the required documents like copy of your educational certificates, UTME result slip, birth certificate, etc. These prove you meet the eligibility criteria.
To maximize your chances, apply to multiple universities. With the competitive nature of law programs, the more schools you apply to, the higher your odds of gaining admission.
Once admitted, be prepared for an intensive 5 year program. The curriculum typically includes courses on civil law, criminal law, constitutional law, commercial law, and more. You will learn both theory and practical skills to prepare you for a career as a lawyer. With hard work and persistence, you can become a solicitor or advocate upon completion of the program.
The opportunities in the legal field are abundant. As a law graduate, you can work as a legal practitioner, judge, magistrate, legal adviser, etc. The skills and knowledge gained will benefit you no matter what path you choose in the field. If you have the passion for law, take a chance and enroll in one of the best law courses Nigeria has to offer.
7. International Relations
To study International Relations in Nigeria, there are several excellent courses to consider.
Bachelor of Arts in International Relations
A 4-year BA in International Relations provides a broad understanding of global politics and affairs. Students gain knowledge of political theories, international law, global economy, cultural diversity and conflict resolution. With a BA, you can pursue careers in government, non-profits, education, journalism, and more.
Master of Science in International Relations
An MS in International Relations allows for specialization in areas like security policy, global public policy or international political economy. In 2 years, you will develop strong analytical and critical thinking skills through coursework and research. An MS opens up leadership roles in global organizations, policy research institutes, diplomatic missions and multinational corporations.
Doctor of Philosophy in International Relations
A PhD in International Relations is the highest degree, preparing students for careers as university professors, senior analysts, advisors and thought leaders. Over 3-5 years, you will make original contributions to the field through intensive research and writing your dissertation. With a PhD, you can influence global affairs at the highest levels of government, think tanks, NGOs and beyond.
In summary, Nigeria offers outstanding programs in International Relations at all degree levels. By choosing a course that matches your interests and career ambitions, you open up a world of opportunity in this vital and growing field. Studying IR can lead to a fulfilling vocation promoting global cooperation, diplomacy, human rights, sustainable development and peace.
8. Mass Communication
Mass communication is the process of imparting and exchanging information on a large scale to a wide range of people. It is a broad field that incorporates aspects of both communications and media studies. Some of the popular courses under mass communication in Nigeria include:
- Journalism: This course deals with the collection, verification, and presentation of news and current affairs. Journalism students learn reporting, writing, and editing skills to become journalists for print, broadcast, and digital media.
- Public Relations: This course focuses on managing the spread of information between an individual or organization and the public. Students learn communication strategies and skills required to build and maintain a positive public image for a company or public figure.
- Advertising: This course involves the creative process of developing and executing promotional campaigns to persuade target audiences to take action and make purchases. Students explore areas like account management, media planning, copywriting, art direction, and campaign planning.
- Broadcasting: This course deals with transmitting audio and visual content to a dispersed audience via electronic media such as radio, television, and the Internet. Students learn production, programming, management, and technical skills required to work in radio, television, and Internet broadcasting.
- Film & Video Production: This course focuses on the creative aspects of conceptualizing, directing, and producing film and video content. Students explore cinematography, editing, screenwriting, animation, and other skills required to work as film directors, producers, cinematographers, editors, and other film crew roles.
To build a career in mass communication, strong communication, creative thinking, and interpersonal skills are essential. Mass communication graduates can work as journalists, public relations officers, advertising executives, radio/TV presenters, filmmakers, and more. The job opportunities in this field continue to expand with the growth of new media and communication technologies.
9. Theater Art
Theater Art is one of the most popular art courses in Nigerian universities. This course exposes you to the theoretical and practical aspects of theater. It provides you with the skills required to build a successful career in theater and film.
The coursework typically involves studying theater history, playwriting, acting, costume and set design, and theater production. You will take classes on:
- Dramatic Theory and Criticism: Learn about different theater genres, styles, and theories. Analyze famous plays and understand what makes them impactful.
- Acting: Develop skills in movement, voice, improvisation, and character development. Study different acting techniques like method acting. Perform in front of live audiences.
- Playwriting: Explore the elements of playwriting like plot, character, dialog, and theme. Write and develop your own original plays.
- Theater Design: Gain experience in set design, costume design, makeup, and lighting. Collaborate with directors and actors to design practical and visually stunning productions.
- Theater Management: Learn key management skills required to run a theater like fundraising, marketing, and budgeting. Organize and produce theater shows.
- Directing: Work directly with actors to interpret scripts and bring your creative vision to life. Lead rehearsals and provide guidance to achieve the best performance.
A degree in Theater Art can open up opportunities in fields like acting, directing, producing, teaching, and arts administration. You can work with theater companies, film production houses, television stations, and academic institutions. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs in the performing arts are projected to grow by about 5% between 2019 to 2029. Theater educators and directors are in high demand in Nigeria.
With dedication and experience, you can build a successful career as an actor, director, playwright, or theater manager. A Theater Art degree will equip you with valuable skills that can be applied across creative industries.
10. Sculpture at Obafemi Awolowo University
The Department of Fine Arts at Obafemi Awolowo University offers a Bachelor of Arts degree in Sculpture. This four-year program provides students with a solid foundation in sculpting techniques and materials.
The sculpture program curriculum focuses on both traditional and contemporary sculpting methods. Students will learn skills such as stone carving, wood carving, metal casting, and welding. Course topics include:
- Figure Modeling: Students create sculpted figures from live models. This helps develop skills in human anatomy and proportions.
- Ceramic Sculpture: Students explore sculpting with clay and glazing techniques. Ceramic works can then be fired in the kiln.
- Installation Art: Students create interactive sculptural environments and spaces. They learn how to transform a room or area into an immersive experience for viewers.
- Digital Modeling: Students utilize 3D modeling software like Maya, ZBrush, and Mudbox to create virtual sculpted works. Digital works can then be fabricated using technologies such as 3D printing.
- Art History: Students study the history of sculpture, prominent sculptors, and the cultural contexts of major works. Art history provides inspiration and helps students understand the foundations of the art form.
The department has well-equipped studios for wood, metal, stone, and ceramic sculpting. There are also 3D printers, laser cutters, and a foundry for casting metal sculptures. The galleries on campus feature student and faculty work, as well as traveling exhibits.
Obafemi Awolowo University provides an intensive education in both traditional and new media sculpture. Graduates will have honed their technical skills and developed a strong conceptual foundation in three-dimensional art. A degree in Sculpture from this prestigious university can open up opportunities for a career as an artist, art educator, or in museum work.