Do you want to enroll at BOSU? This article has been put together to guide you thoroughly on the necessary information you need before enrolling in the school. In this article, you’ll get to learn about the list of courses offered by this university, and their admission requirements.
About The School
Borno State University Maiduguri (BOSU) was established in 2016 as the first state university in Northeastern Nigeria. BOSU offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs across six faculties – Arts, Social Sciences, Science, Education, Law, and Agriculture.
BOSU was founded to provide higher education to the peoples of Borno State and neighboring states. The first vice chancellor, Professor J.P. Clark, embarked on a recruitment drive to attract top academics from around the country. In its first year, BOSU had 154 students and 13 academic departments.
Today, BOSU has over 25,000 students and 1,200 academic staff. The university aims to advance knowledge and learning through teaching, research, and community service.
BOSU has two campuses – the Main Campus and the Kashim Ibrahim Campus – on over 2,500 acres of land. The university teaching hospital, Umaru Shehu Ultra-Modern Hospital, adjoins the Main Campus.
With a mix of academic excellence and rich cultural diversity, BOSU provides an environment conducive for learning and personal development. The university aims to produce graduates who can thrive in a fast-changing world.
BOSU List of Courses Offered
Below are some of the accredited courses offered at BOSU:
- ANIMAL & ENVIRONMENTAL BIOLOGY
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
- COMPUTER SCIENCE
- CRIMINOLOGY & SECURITY STUDIES
- EDUCATION & BIOLOGY
- EDUCATION & COMPUTER SCIENCE
- EDUCATION & ISLAMIC STUDIES
- EDUCATIONAL MANAGEMENT
- EDUCATION & CHEMISTRY
- EDUCATION & ECONOMICS
- EDUCATION & ENGLISH LANGUAGE
- EDUCATION & MATHEMATICS
- EDUCATION & PHYSICS
- ENGLISH LANGUAGE
- GUIDANCE & COUNSELLING
- ISLAMIC STUDIES
- LITERATURE IN ENGLISH
- MASS COMMUNICATION
- PEACE STUDIES & CONFLICT RESOLUTION
- POLITICAL SCIENCE
- PLANT SCIENCE & BIOTECHNOLOGY
- PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
- TEACHER EDUCATION SCIENCE:
BOSU Admission Requirements
To be admitted as an undergraduate student at Borno State University Maiduguri (BOSU), you must meet the following requirements:
BOSU Admission Requirements by UTME
For admission to BOSU in 2023 UTME applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must have reached the age of 16.
- Applicants must have at least 6 (six) “Cs (credits)” in their O’level result(s). This must include English, Math and three other subjects related to their curriculum. For example, a candidate who wants to study law must have a “C” in English, Mathematics, Government/History, Economics and Literature in English.
- Applicants must score at least 160 points in the JAMB UTME exam
- Candidates must take the BOSU post UTME screening exam and do very well in the exam (depending on the program of study)
- No more than one sitting result is accepted for admission to BOSU
- Candidates must choose the appropriate combination of subjects for their subject. Finally, applicants must meet the specified cut-off points for their courses in order to gain admission to the university.
BOSU Admission Requirements by Direct Entry:
Candidates seeking direct admission to BOSU must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must have at least five (5) credits in their O’level results. This must include English language and math. However, the results of two sessions are not allowed.
- Applicants must also be 16 years old. Applicants must obtain the JAMB registration form directly from JAMB to apply.
- Candidates must have one of the following certificates:
OND, ND, NCE, IJMB, Cambridge A level, BSc, HND, ICAN
The admission process begins with purchasing an application form, either online or directly from the university. You must complete the form with accurate information and submit it before the deadline, along with copies of your educational certificates and a passport photograph.
The application process to gain admission into IBBU typically involves the following steps:
- Purchase the University’s admission form online at the official website or designated bank branches.
- Complete and submit the admission form, ensuring all required information and documents are provided before the deadline. This includes a copy of your credentials, birth certificate, and passport photograph.
- Take the necessary admission screening test, such as UTME. Meet the minimum cut-off mark for your chosen course of study.
- Check admission status on the University website and proceed to accept your offer if admitted.
- Present yourself for screening and registration at the stipulated date with all original credentials.
- Proceed to undertake a medical examination at the University Medical Center.
- Complete your registration by paying the necessary tuition fees.
By meeting the admission criteria and following the application process, you stand a good chance of gaining admission into IBBU to pursue your desired undergraduate or postgraduate program. Good luck!
- Purchase the BOSU application form online or from designated banks. The application fee is non-refundable.
- Carefully complete all sections of the application form with accurate information.
- Attach photocopies of your credentials, including SSCE results, school certificates, and a recent passport photograph.
- Submit your completed application to the Admissions Office before the deadline. Late applications will not be considered.
- Check the admission list on the university website to see if you have been offered provisional admission. If admitted, proceed to accept your admission and pay required fees.
To increase your chances of gaining admission, apply as early as possible, meet all deadlines, and ensure you have a minimum score above the cut-off point based on your program of choice. Admission into BOSU is highly competitive, so prepare well and all the best!
Borno State University Maiduguri (BSUM) receives many inquiries from prospective students and the public. Here are some of the frequently asked questions and their answers:
What are the Admission Requirements?
To be admitted as an undergraduate student at BSUM, you will need:
- 5 credits in Mathematics and English Language at SSCE/GCE O’Level
- Acceptable scores in UTME
- Acceptable scores in Post-UTME screening
- Application fee of N2,000
- Birth certificate
- Academic records/transcripts
For postgraduate admission, you will need:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- Academic records/transcripts
- Acceptable scores in screening tests (where applicable)
- Application fee of N5,000
Are there any available Scholarships and Financial Aid?
BSUM offers scholarships and grants to students based on academic merit and financial need. Prospective students are advised to apply for scholarships and financial aid during the admission process to increase their chances of being awarded.