You have dreams of pursuing a master’s or PhD degree at a prestigious German university, but financial difficulties are preventing you from realizing this goal. Not to worry, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and Friedrich Ebert Stiftung (FES) foundation have teamed up to offer scholarships for international students to study in Germany. The Study-In-Germany: 2023 DAAD Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarships provide funding for graduate-level courses taught in German or English at universities across Germany. Whether you are interested in engineering, the arts and humanities, or the social sciences, these scholarships open the door for you to study at some of the top-ranked universities in the world with all or partial funding for your degree. Read on to learn more about eligibility criteria, award details, and how to apply for this life-changing opportunity. The future you have dreamed of could be within your grasp.
Overview of the DAAD Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarships
The DAAD Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarships provide funding for highly-qualified international students to pursue a master’s degree in Germany. To be eligible, you must:
- Hold a first university degree (bachelor’s or equivalent) with above-average grades
- Have 2+ years of related professional experience
- Meet the language requirements for your chosen study program (usually German or English proficiency)
- Show motivation and interest in the program of study
- Prove your ability to successfully complete your master’s degree
The scholarship includes:
- A monthly stipend of €850 for living expenses
- Health, accident and personal liability insurance
- Travel allowance
- Tuition fees
To apply, you will need to submit:
- The online DAAD application form
- A handwritten motivation letter (1-2 pages) describing your study goals and future career plans
- Curriculum vitae detailing your academic and professional experience
- University degree certificate(s) and transcripts
- Proof of language proficiency (German or English)
- Two confidential letters of recommendation from professors or employers
The application deadline is usually in October for programs starting the following winter semester. Candidates are selected based on their academic achievements, work experience, motivation and potential for academic success.
Notifications are sent in February. If awarded, you must accept or decline the scholarship within two weeks. Prepare well in advance, as it can take time to obtain necessary documents and meet language requirements. With diligent preparation, you have an excellent opportunity to earn a fully-funded master’s degree at one of Germany’s top universities through this prestigious scholarship program.
Eligibility Criteria for the 2023 DAAD Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarships
To be eligible for the 2023 DAAD Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarships, you must meet several criteria.
You must be a citizen of a developing country in Africa, Asia, Latin America, or the Middle East. The scholarships are not open to applicants from North America, Western Europe, Australia, or New Zealand.
You must have an undergraduate degree from an accredited university. Preference will be given to applicants who have a background in the social sciences, humanities, journalism, and related fields. Strong grades, especially in relevant coursework, will strengthen your application.
Proficiency in German or English is required, depending on your course of study. For programs taught in German, you must provide proof of German language skills at the B1 level or higher of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. For English-taught programs, proof of English skills at the C1 level or higher is needed.
Relevant work, internship, volunteer, or research experience will be viewed favorably in the selection process. Experience related to your proposed field of study or career goals will be particularly useful. Describe any such experience in detail in your application.
You must submit a convincing statement of purpose outlining your motivation for postgraduate study in Germany and your future career plans. Explain how the scholarship and study program will help you achieve your goals.
If you meet these eligibility criteria, you are encouraged to apply for the DAAD Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarships. With diligent preparation of a strong application, you have a good chance of being selected for this prestigious award.
How to Apply for the 2023 DAAD Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarships
To apply for the 2023 DAAD Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarships, you will need to submit a complete application that meets all the eligibility criteria and requirements. Applications open on the DAAD portal from May to July 30, 2022.
- Register an account on the DAAD portal to start your application. You will need to provide personal information like your name, date of birth, and contact details.
- Ensure you meet the eligibility criteria for your desired program of study. This includes holding a Bachelor’s degree, securing admission to a German university, and having a strong academic record.
- Review the selection criteria and application guidelines carefully to understand what documents and information are needed. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Documents to Prepare
- Certified copies of academic transcripts and degree certificates for all university degrees obtained
- Proof of admission to a German university for your postgraduate studies
- A letter of motivation or intent (around 2 pages) detailing your reasons for applying, choice of university and study program, and future career goals
- Two confidential letters of recommendation from your professors
- Curriculum vitae with details on your academic and professional background
- Applicants from some countries may need to provide proof of language proficiency (German or English) by submitting standardized test scores. Check with the DAAD for requirements specific to your country.
Submit Your Application
- Upload all required documents to the DAAD portal. Double check that everything is complete and in the proper format before submitting.
- Submit your online application form with details on your proposed course of study in Germany.
- If selected for the scholarship, you may be invited to an interview, either in person or via video call. Be prepared to discuss your application, study goals, and future objectives.
The DAAD Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarships are highly competitive, so make sure you follow the instructions carefully and submit a compelling, well-prepared application to increase your chances of success. Applying early and having all components ready ahead of the deadline is recommended.
Benefits of the DAAD Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarships
The DAAD Friedrich Ebert Stiftung scholarships offer several benefits to international students.
The DAAD Friedrich Ebert Stiftung scholarships cover tuition fees for the duration of your studies in Germany. As a scholarship recipient, you will not have to pay any tuition fees at German universities, which typically do not charge tuition fees for undergraduate and PhD programs. This allows you to focus on your studies without worrying about tuition costs.
The DAAD Friedrich Ebert Stiftung scholarships provide you with a monthly stipend to help cover your living expenses in Germany, such as rent, food, and transportation. The monthly stipend amount depends on your academic level, ranging from €650 to €1,000 per month for undergraduates and up to €1,200 per month for PhD candidates.
The DAAD Friedrich Ebert Stiftung scholarships include a travel allowance to help offset travel costs to and within Germany. You will receive a one-time travel allowance for your initial trip to Germany to begin your studies. Additional travel allowances may be provided for study or research trips within Germany during your scholarship period.
As a DAAD Friedrich Ebert Stiftung scholarship recipient, you will receive comprehensive health insurance coverage for the duration of your scholarship. Health insurance is mandatory for international students in Germany, so the DAAD provides a health insurance subsidy to cover this important expense.
Additional benefits of the DAAD Friedrich Ebert Stiftung scholarships include accommodation assistance, mentoring and networking opportunities, and access to exclusive events. The DAAD and host universities aim to provide scholarship recipients a supportive environment to pursue their degrees.
In summary, the DAAD Friedrich Ebert Stiftung scholarships cover major expenses for international students in Germany, including tuition, living costs, travel, health insurance and more. By funding your studies and living essentials in Germany, these prestigious scholarships allow you to fully immerse yourself in your program and gain valuable international experience.