Do you want to enroll at NMU? This article has been put together to guide you thoroughly on the necessary information you need before enrolling in the school. In this article, you’ll get to learn about the list of courses offered by this university, and their admission requirements.
About The School
The Nigeria Maritime University (NMU) is the first specialized maritime university in Africa, established in 2012 to address the shortage of trained and qualified local maritime professionals in Nigeria.
Located in Okerenkoko, Delta State, the NMU offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs in maritime-related fields of study. Courses include Marine Engineering, Nautical Science, Marine Transport and Business Studies, Fisheries, and Marine Pollution and Environmental Management.
The university has an ultra-modern campus with state-of-the-art facilities, including simulators for navigation, engineering and cargo handling, as well as research laboratories, workshops, and training vessels.
NMU aims to produce seafarers and maritime experts to internationally acceptable standards through quality education and training. Graduates will gain the necessary knowledge, skills, and competence to pursue successful careers in the maritime industry or related sectors.
NMU List of Courses Offered
- CIVIL ENGINEERING
- ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT & POLLUTION CONTROL
- ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
- FISHERIES & AQUACULTURE
- MARINE ENGINEERING
- MARINE ECONOMICS & FINANCE
- METEOROLOGY & CLIMATE CHANGE
- MARINE GEOLOGY
- MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
- METEOROLOGY AND CLIMATE CHANGE
- NAUTICAL SCIENCE
- PORT MANAGEMENT
- PETROLEUM & GAS ENGINEERING
- TRANSPORT LOGISTICS MANAGEMENT
NMU Admission Requirements
To be admitted into the Nigeria Maritime University (NMU), you must meet the following requirements:
- Have a minimum of 5 credits in not more than 2 sittings in WASSCE/NECO/NABTEB including English Language, Mathematics and any other 3 relevant subjects.
- Applicants with a minimum of lower credit in NCE/ND/HND in a relevant course will be considered. Applicants with a minimum of pass in a relevant course will be considered.
- All applicants must have sat for JAMB and attained the prescribed cut-off mark.
- Applicants must be 16 years old and above.
- All applicants must undergo a screening exercise which would include an aptitude test. The screening exercise is mandatory for all applicants.
- All applicants must have a valid birth certificate or sworn declaration of age.
- All applicants must be of good character and must not have been convicted of any criminal offense.
- All applicants must be medically fit. All applicants shall undergo a medical screening test.
Meeting these admission requirements is essential to being considered for the Nigeria Maritime University. If selected, you will have the opportunity to study various maritime-related courses to prepare you for a career in the maritime industry. Work hard and stay determined to achieve your goals.
NMU School Fees
Tuition fees at NMU depend on your program of study and course load. For the 2023/2024 academic year, tuition fees range from ₦40,500.00 to ₦51,500.00 per semester for undergraduate programs. Postgraduate programs have higher fees. Tuition fees are paid through the school portal before the start of each semester.
NMU Hostel Accommodation
NMU provides on-campus housing for students in the form of hostels and apartments. Accommodation fees depend on the type of housing and amenities. You can check the school official site for more information concerning the hostel accommodation.
What programs does the Nigeria maritime University offer?
The Nigeria maritime University offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs in maritime-related fields of study. Some of the programs offered include:
- Bachelors of Science in Marine Engineering
- Bachelors of Science in Nautical Science
- Bachelors of Science in Marine Transport and Business Studies
- Masters of Science in Maritime Safety and Environmental Administration
- Masters in Maritime Law and Policy
- PhD in Maritime Studies
These programs aim to equip students with the knowledge and skills required for careers in the maritime industry such as marine engineering, naval architecture, nautical science, and maritime law.
What facilities does the University have?
The Nigeria maritime University has world-class facilities to support effective teaching and learning. Some of the facilities include:
- Simulators for marine engineering, naval architecture and nautical science students to gain practical experience.
- Well-equipped laboratories for subjects like marine engineering workshop, naval architecture, and marine survey.
- A library with extensive collections of books, journals, and other resources on maritime studies and related fields.
- Student accommodation and recreational facilities including a cafeteria, sports complex, and health center.
How much does it cost to study at the Nigeria maritime University?
The tuition for undergraduate and postgraduate programs at the Nigeria maritime University depends on the course of study. On average, tuition fees range from 100,000 Naira to 200,000 Naira per session for Nigerian students. International students from other West African countries pay slightly higher tuition. The University also charges additional fees for accommodation, acceptance, and other student services. It is advisable to visit the University’s website for the exact tuition and fees for your desired program.
Scholarships, grants, and student loans are available for eligible students who may need financial assistance. The University and other organizations offer these opportunities to support students in their maritime education.