Do you want to enroll at NWU? This article has been put together to guide you thoroughly on the necessary information you need before enrolling in the school. In this article, you’ll get to learn about the list of courses offered by this university, and their admission requirements.
About The School
Northwest Kano University (NWU) is a public university founded in 2012 and operated and maintained by the Kano state government. The university has a campus located in Gwarzo, Kano State. Since its inception, the university has provided its students with cheap tuition as most of the school’s operating costs are borne by the Kano state government. The university offers various study programs in the fields of science, social sciences, medicine and education.
Northwest Kano University (NWU) has a moderate and fairly diverse student body. The university has no religious affiliation and therefore accepts students regardless of religious and cultural background. Chances are this university will mainly consist of students from the North.
Admission to the university is quite competitive as applicants from all over the country apply for admission. North West Kano University tuition fees range from N100,000 to N200,000, the school has a standard infrastructure of good roads, electricity, university buildings, administrative areas, etc.
Northwest University Kano has invested heavily in developing modern teaching and learning facilities. It has well-equipped science and ICT laboratories, standard lecture theaters, and updated libraries with print and electronic resources. Student accommodation and sporting facilities have also been upgraded to create an ideal environment for learning and development.
With its long history of excellence, Northwest University Kano continues to build on its fine traditions and achievements. It is focused on developing future leaders through world-class education and research.
NWU List of Courses Offered
Below are some of the accredited courses offered at NWU:
- ARABIC STUDIES
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
- COMPUTER SCIENCE
- EDUCATION & ARABIC
- EDUCATION & CHEMISTRY
- EDUCATION & GEOGRAPHY
- EDUCATION & PHYSICS
- ENTREPRENEURIAL STUDIES
- EDUCATION & BIOLOGY
- EDUCATION & ECONOMICS
- EDUCATION & ENGLISH LANGUAGE
- EDUCATION & HISTORY
- EDUCATION & ISLAMIC STUDIES
- EDUCATION & MATHEMATICS
- EDUCATION AND COMPUTER SCIENCE
- ENGLISH LANGUAGE
- HISTORY & INTERNATIONAL STUDIES
- INFORMATION & COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY
- INTERNATIONAL STUDIES
- ISLAMIC STUDIES
- LIBRARY & INFORMATION SCIENCE EDUCATION
- MEDICINE & SURGERY
- TEACHER EDUCATION SCIENCE
NWU Admission Requirements
To be admitted as an undergraduate student at Northwest University Kano, you must meet the following requirements:
NWU Admission Requirements by UTME
For admission to NWU in 2023 UTME applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must have reached the age of 16.
- Applicants must have at least 6 (six) “Cs (credits)” in their O’level result(s). This must include English, Math and three other subjects related to their curriculum. For example, a candidate who wants to study law must have a “C” in English, Mathematics, Government/History, Economics and Literature in English.
- Applicants must score at least 160 points in the JAMB UTME exam
- Candidates must take the NWU post UTME screening exam and do very well in the exam (depending on the program of study)
- No more than one sitting result is accepted for admission to NWU
- Candidates must choose the appropriate combination of subjects for their subject.
- Finally, applicants must meet the specified cut-off points for their courses in order to gain admission to the university.
NWU Admission Requirements by Direct Entry:
Candidates seeking direct admission to NWU must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must have at least five (5) credits in their O’level results. This must include English language and math. However, the results of two sessions are not allowed.
- Applicants must also be 16 years old. Applicants must obtain the JAMB registration form directly from JAMB to apply.
- Candidates must have one of the following certificates:
OND, ND, NCE, IJMB, Cambridge A level, BSc, HND, ICAN
The admission process begins with purchasing an application form, either online or directly from the university. You must complete the form with accurate information and submit it before the deadline, along with copies of your educational certificates and a passport photograph.
The application process to gain admission into NWU typically involves the following steps:
- Purchase the University’s admission form online at the official website or designated bank branches.
- Complete and submit the admission form, ensuring all required information and documents are provided before the deadline. This includes a copy of your credentials, birth certificate, and passport photograph.
- Take the necessary admission screening test, such as UTME. Meet the minimum cut-off mark for your chosen course of study.
- Check admission status on the University website and proceed to accept your offer if admitted.
- Present yourself for screening and registration at the stipulated date with all original credentials.
- Proceed to undertake a medical examination at the University Medical Center.
- Complete your registration by paying the necessary tuition fees.
Meeting the above admission requirements and following the stipulated procedures does not guarantee automatic admission into the University. Admission will depend on the number of available spaces in the various departments and the performance of candidates at the UTME and Post-UTME.